Hip Labral Repair Physical Therapy | Case Study | Week 6-12 | CAM Reduction – FPF Show Episode 47
To go along with today's episode I have a nice infographic to share...
Sign up to receive FREE: The Evidence Based FAI Cheat Sheet
In today's episode we go over Hip Labral Repair Physical Therapy | Case Study | Week 0-6 | CAM Reduction:
- 0:00 Introduction
- 1:31 What does treatment look like at week 6 after hip labral repair?
- 1:34 Weight bearing progression and gait training after hip labral repair
- 4:34 How to measure objective changes in walking over time after hip labral repair
- 5:00 Range of motion work at week 6 after hip labral repair
- 5:50 What does strength training look like at week 6 after hip labral repair?
- 6:49 How to spot compensation during squats and deadlifts after hip labral repair
- 7:46 When do we introduce single leg strength exercises (lunges, step-ups, single leg squats / deadlifts) after hip labral repair
- 9:48 How do we incorporate direct hip isolation work after hip labral repair?
- 1145 What to do on "Off" days
- 12:25 Week 6-10 physical therapy program
- 14:02 How to progress range of motion over time
- 14:52 How strength progresses from week 6 to week 10
- 16:47 How to prepare for plyometrics after hip labral repair
- 17:33 When should you assess strength in your patients after hip labral repair?
- 18:56 How and why to incorporate balance exercises into your hip labral repair rehabilitation program
- 19:12 What should your conditioning program look like as part of your hip labral repair rehabilitation program?
- 21:14 Return to run programs in hip labral repair rehabilitation
- 25:27 Long term planning for return to sport after hip labral repair surgery.
Listen and Subscribe to the Podcast
You can listen to the podcast and subscribe with any of the links below.
Show Notes / Relevant Articles:
- FPF Mini Course - 7 Reasons Why Injuries Happen in the Gym and What to do About it
- The Evidence Based Guide to FAI for Physical Therapists
- Hip Labral Repair Physical Therapy Guidelines | FAI Surgery Rehabilitation | CAM Reduction – FPF Show Episode 45
- Diagnosis and Treatment of FAI in a Powerlifter - Part 1
- Diagnosis and Treatment of FAI in a Powerlifter - Part 2
- The Ultimate Guide to Getting Out of Hip Pain and Back to Squatting, Deadlifting and Olympic Lifts
- Hip Labral Repair Physical Therapy Case Study - Week 0-6
Want to support me and decide topics for future episodes? Click HERE to sign up for FPF "Insiders" for just a dollar. You'll gain access to 100+ webinars, e-books and complete guides. Plus, you'll get private access to the "Insiders" Facebook group where you can have all of your questions answered by me.
Looking for other ways to support me that are 100% free?
- Like, comment and share on youtube, facebook and instagram
- Leave a 5-star review on apple podcasts
Dan Pope DPT, OCS, CSCS
Domb BG, Sgroi TA, VanDevender JC. Physical Therapy Protocol After Hip Arthroscopy: Clinical Guidelines Supported by 2-Year Outcomes. Sports Health. 2016 Jul;8(4):347-54. doi: 10.1177/1941738116647920. Epub 2016 May 12. PMID: 27173983; PMCID: PMC4922519.
Wahoff M, Dischiavi S, Hodge J, Pharez JD. Rehabilitation after labral repair and femoroacetabular decompression: criteria-based progression through the return to sport phase. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2014 Nov;9(6):813-26. PMID: 25383249; PMCID: PMC4223290.
Kraeutler MJ, Anderson J, Chahla J, Mitchell JJ, Thompson-Etzel R, Mei-Dan O, Pascual-Garrido C. Return to running after arthroscopic hip surgery: literature review and proposal of a physical therapy protocol. J Hip Preserv Surg. 2017 Apr 11;4(2):121-130. doi: 10.1093/jhps/hnx012. PMID: 28630733; PMCID: PMC5467407.
Dr. Thomas Wuerz - https://www.bostonhipcenter.com/pdf/hip-arthroscopy-post-op-rehabilitation-protocol.pdf