Evidence Based Guide to Achilles Tendinopathy for Physical Therapists [Assessment and Treatment]
In today's episode we go over an Evidence Based Guide to Achilles Tendinopathy for Physical Therapists [Assessment and Treatment]:
- 3:07 What is the Definition of Achilles Tendinopathy?
- 5:19 Relevant Anatomy in Achilles Tendinopathy
- 6:08 How Do Tendinopathies Form?
- 8:39 What is the Prevalence of Achilles Tendinopathy?
- 10:19 What are the Risk Factors for Developing Achilles Tendinopathy?
- 13:31 Is it Possible to Prevent Achilles Tendinopathy?
- 15:53 How Physical Therapists Should Diagnose Achilles Tendinopathy
- 20:01 Differential Diagnosis in Achilles Tendinopathy
- 21:05 Is Imaging (X-ray, MRI, Ultrasound) Needed to Diagnose Achilles Tendinopathy?
- 23:38 What are the BEST Treatment for Achilles Tendinopathy?
- 29:10 What are the BEST Exercises for Achilles Tendinopathy?
- 35:17 What Other Treatments are Beneficial When Exercise Based Treatments Fail?
- 36:26 What Treatments are NOT Effective for Achilles Tendinopathy?
- 40:11 When Should You Consider Surgery for Achilles Tendinopathy?
- 42:33 Achilles Tendinopathy Prognosis, How Long Does it Take For Pain to go Away?
- 47:13 Recurrence Rates for Achilles Tendinopathy
- 47:30 Can We Prevent Achilles Tendinopathy?
- 50:28 References
Listen and Subscribe to the Podcast
You can listen to the podcast and subscribe with any of the links below.
Show Notes / Relevant Articles:
- FPF Mini Course - 7 Reasons Why Injuries Happen in the Gym and What to do About it
- Evidence Based Guide to Lateral Epicondylalgia (Tennis Elbow)
- Evidence Based Guide to Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome
- Evidence Based Guide to Stretching
- BJSM Podcast - Achilles Tendinopathy
- Isometrics for Achilles Tendinopathy
- How to Diagnose Achilles Tendinopathy - Video
- Physical Therapy Guide to Motivational Interviewing to Improve Communication and Patient Outcomes
Want to support me and decide topics for future episodes? Click HERE to sign up for FPF "Insiders" for just a dollar. You'll gain access to 100+ webinars, e-books and complete guides. Plus, you'll get private access to the "Insiders" Facebook group where you can have all of your questions answered by me.
Looking for other ways to support me that are 100% free?
- Like, comment and share on youtube, facebook and instagram
- Leave a 5-star review on apple podcasts
Dan Pope DPT, OCS, CSCS
de Vos R, van der Vlist AC, Zwerver J, et al. Dutch multidisciplinary guideline on Achilles tendinopathy British Journal of Sports Medicine 2021;55:1125-1134
Silbernagel KG, Thomeé R, Eriksson BI, Karlsson J. Continued sports activity, using a pain-monitoring model, during rehabilitation in patients with Achilles tendinopathy: a randomized controlled study. Am J Sports Med. 2007 Jun;35(6):897-906. doi: 10.1177/0363546506298279. Epub 2007 Feb 16. PMID: 17307888.
Zwerver, Johannes et al. “ICON 2019-international scientific tendinopathy symposium: building an ICONic tendon tower-launching a new era in clinical tendinopathy research.” British journal of sports medicine vol. 54,8 (2020): 442-443. doi:10.1136/bjsports-2019-101214
Challoumas D, Biddle M, Millar NL. Recent advances in tendinopathy. Fac Rev. 2020;9:16. Published 2020 Nov 19. doi:10.12703/b/9-16
Millar NL, Silbernagel KG, Thorborg K, Kirwan PD, Galatz LM, Abrams GD, Murrell GAC, McInnes IB, Rodeo SA. Tendinopathy. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2021 Jan 7;7(1):1. doi: 10.1038/s41572-020-00234-1. Erratum in: Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2021 Feb 3;7(1):10. PMID: 33414454.
Image attribution / source: Dr. Johannes Sobotta, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sobo_1909_579-580.png