Can You Return to CrossFit TM After Rotator Cuff Repair? | Arthroscopic Surgery, Physical Therapy: FPF Show Episode 27
In today's episode we go over, Can You Return to CrossFit TM After Rotator Cuff Repair? | Arthroscopic Surgery, Physical Therapy:
- 0:00 Intro
- 2:01 Why should you care about rotator cuff repair outcomes as a physical therapist?
- 3:58 How common are shoulder injuries in CrossFit?
- 5:43 What was the population studied that received a rotator cuff repair? (Age, inclusion / exclusion criteria, sample size, indications)
- 9:30 What other procedures did the patients undergo besides rotator cuff repair? (Mumford, SLAP, labral repair, subacromial decompression, tenodesis)
- 10:50 What were patients diagnosed with prior to rotator cuff repair surgery?
- 12:10 What was physical therapy like following rotator cuff repair surgery?
- 15:18 At what point were patients allowed to use weights following rotator cuff repair surgery in physical therapy?
- 15:47 When were patients allowed to perform gymnastics movements following rotator cuff repair?
- 16:27 What were the results after rotator cuff repair? [Pain, outcome measures, return to CrossFit (TM)]
- 17:43 How long did it take patients to return to CrossFit following rotator cuff repair?
- 17:56 Do patients return back to CrossFit at the same level of participation as before rotator cuff repair?
- 19:51 How many rotator cuff repairs ended up re-tearing / failing after surgery?
- 21:44 What percentage of people returned to CrossFit after rotator cuff repair?
- 23:44 Study limitations and areas of future research
Listen and Subscribe to the Podcast
You can listen to the podcast and subscribe with any of the links below.
Show Notes / Relevant Articles:
- Is CrossFit Bad for Shoulders?
- FPF Mini Course - 7 Reasons Why Injuries Happen in the Gym and What to do About it
- The Ultimate Guide to Rotator Cuff Tears, Tendinopathy and Sub-acromial Impingement Syndrome
- The Ultimate Guide to Getting Out of Shoulder Pain and Back to Bench Press, Overhead Press and Olympic Lifts
- Physical Therapy Diagnosis and Treatment for Rotator Cuff Tendinitis / Impingement
- What Physical Therapists NEED to Know About Rotator Cuff Repair from an Orthopedic Surgeon
- Do I Need Surgery for My Torn Rotator Cuff?
Want to support me and decide topics for future episodes? Click HERE to sign up for FPF "Insiders" for just a dollar. You'll gain access to 100+ webinars, e-books and complete guides. Plus, you'll get private access to the "Insiders" Facebook group where you can have all of your questions answered by me.
Looking for other ways to support me that are 100% free?
- Like, comment and share on youtube, facebook and instagram
- Leave a 5-star review on apple podcasts
Dan Pope DPT, OCS, CSCS
- Carbone, Stefano et al. “High Rate of Return to CrossFit Training After Arthroscopic Management of Rotator Cuff Tear.” Orthopaedic journal of sports medicine vol. 8,4 2325967120911039. 1 Apr. 2020, doi:10.1177/2325967120911039