Motivational Interviewing for Physical Therapists - How to Improve Patient Communication: FPF Show Episode 35
In today's episode we go over Motivational Interviewing for Physical Therapists - How to Improve Patient Communication.
- 0:00 Intro
- 1:48 Why is motivational interviewing important for physical therapists?
- 5:20 What does the literature say about motivational interviewing with physical therapy?
- 7:17 The 6 benefits of motivational interviewing
- 10:18 When should motivational interviewing be used during physical therapy sessions?
- 12:13 The 4 central pillars of motivational interviewing
- 14:55 Open ended questions in motivational interviewing
- 17:57 Affirmations in motivational interviewing
- 23:49 Reflections in motivational interviewing
- 28:18Summary in motivational interviewing
- 30:37 How to use change talk to motivate patients
Listen and Subscribe to the Podcast
You can listen to the podcast and subscribe with any of the links below.
Show Notes / Relevant Articles:
Want to support me and decide topics for future episodes? Click HERE to sign up for FPF "Insiders" for just a dollar. You'll gain access to 100+ webinars, e-books and complete guides. Plus, you'll get private access to the "Insiders" Facebook group where you can have all of your questions answered by me.
Looking for other ways to support me that are 100% free?
- Like, comment and share on youtube, facebook and instagram
- Leave a 5-star review on apple podcasts
Dan Pope DPT, OCS, CSCS
Kinney M, Seider J, Beaty AF, Coughlin K, Dyal M, Clewley D. The impact of therapeutic alliance in physical therapy for chronic musculoskeletal pain: A systematic review of the literature. Physiother Theory Pract. 2020 Aug;36(8):886-898. doi: 10.1080/09593985.2018.1516015. Epub 2018 Sep 28. PMID: 30265840.
Alodaibi F, Beneciuk J, Holmes R, Kareha S, Hayes D, Fritz J. The Relationship of the Therapeutic Alliance to Patient Characteristics and Functional Outcome During an Episode of Physical Therapy Care for Patients With Low Back Pain: An Observational Study. Phys Ther. 2021 Apr 4;101(4):pzab026. doi: 10.1093/ptj/pzab026. PMID: 33513231.
Jamil A, Javed A, Iqbal MA. Effects of motivational interviewing with conventional physical therapy on rehabilitation of chronic musculoskeletal disorders: A quasi-experimental study. J Pak Med Assoc. 2021 Apr;71(4):1123-1127. doi: 10.47391/JPMA.873. PMID: 34125755.
Bill Matulich - How to Do Motivational Interviewing: A Guidebook 2017