When Do Rotator Cuff Tears Fail After Surgical Repair? | Arthroscopic Surgery, Physical Therapy: FPF Show Episode 31
In today's episode we go over, When Do Rotator Cuff Tears Fail After Surgical Repair? | Arthroscopic Surgery, Physical Therapy:
- 0:00 Intro
- 1:54 How often do rotator cuff tear repairs fail (re-tear) after surgery?
- 3:15 Which patients should have rotator cuff repair and which shouldn't?
- 4:02 Why care about when the rotator cuff may tear after surgical repair?
- 6:45 Why is the re-tear rate after rotator cuff repair so high?
- 7:15 Study population
- 8:53 How often was imaging performed after surgery to check for re-tears?
- 9:38 What percentage of patients re-tore their rotator cuff after surgery?
- 10:40 When did rotator cuff tears occur after surgery?
- 13:01 Did rotator cuff re-tears occur due to a surgical fixation issue or more from a biological healing perspective?
- 13:25 Clinical take-aways (who is most "at risk", when are patients safest? how does this influence physical therapy?)
- 14:35 Does early range of motion influence re-tear rates for rotator cuff repairs?
- 15;04 Does accelerated physical therapy rehab influence re-tear rates for rotator cuff repairs?
- 17:14 What can physical therapists do with this information to help patients?
Listen and Subscribe to the Podcast
You can listen to the podcast and subscribe with any of the links below.
Show Notes / Relevant Articles:
- FPF Mini Course - 7 Reasons Why Injuries Happen in the Gym and What to do About it
- The Ultimate Guide to Rotator Cuff Tears, Tendinopathy and Sub-acromial Impingement Syndrome
- The Ultimate Guide to Getting Out of Shoulder Pain and Back to Bench Press, Overhead Press and Olympic Lifts
- Physical Therapy Diagnosis and Treatment for Rotator Cuff Tendinitis / Impingement
- What Physical Therapists NEED to Know About Rotator Cuff Repair from an Orthopedic Surgeon
- Do I Need Surgery for My Torn Rotator Cuff?
Want to support me and decide topics for future episodes? Click HERE to sign up for FPF "Insiders" for just a dollar. You'll gain access to 100+ webinars, e-books and complete guides. Plus, you'll get private access to the "Insiders" Facebook group where you can have all of your questions answered by me.
Looking for other ways to support me that are 100% free?
- Like, comment and share on youtube, facebook and instagram
- Leave a 5-star review on apple podcasts
Dan Pope DPT, OCS, CSCS
- Chona DV, Lakomkin N, Lott A, Workman AD, Henry AC, Kuntz AF, Huffman GR, Glaser DL. The timing of retears after arthroscopic rotator cuff repair. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2017 Nov;26(11):2054-2059. doi: 10.1016/j.jse.2017.07.015. Epub 2017 Sep 13. PMID: 28918111.