The Best Shoulder Health Exercises For CrossFit and Olympic Weightlifting
In today's episode we go over The Best Shoulder Health Exercises For CrossFit and Olympic Weightlifting:
- 0:00 Intro
- 2:07 What are the best rotator cuff exercises for CrossFit and Olympic Weightlifting?
- 2:50 Why is the rotator cuff so important?
- 3:54 How the specific demands of olympic lifting influences the best exercises
- 11:23 Going over each specific exercise
- 16:39 What are the best physical therapy exercises for the shoulder? (CrossFit and Olympic Weightlifting)
- 23:24 Why behind the neck pressing is GREAT for olympic lifting
Listen and Subscribe to the Podcast
You can listen to the podcast and subscribe with any of the links below.
Show Notes / Relevant Articles:
- Physical Therapy Diagnosis and Treatment of Shoulder Impingement / Rotator Cuff Tendinitis
- FPF Mini Course - 7 Reasons Why Injuries Happen in the Gym and What to do About it
- The Ultimate Guide to Rotator Cuff Tears, Tendinopathy and Sub-acromial Impingement Syndrome
- The Ultimate Guide to Getting Out of Shoulder Pain and Back to Bench Press, Overhead Press and Olympic Lifts
- The Best Rotator Cuff Exercises for CrossFit and Olympic Weightlifting
- The Best Exercises to Get Out of Shoulder Pain and Back to Training in the Gym
- Physical Therapy Treatment for Shoulder Pain During Bench Press
- The Best Physical Therapy Exercises for the Shoulder (CrossFit and Olympic Weightlifting)
Want to support me and decide topics for future episodes? Click HERE to sign up for FPF "Insiders" for just a dollar. You'll gain access to 100+ webinars, e-books and complete guides. Plus, you'll get private access to the "Insiders" Facebook group where you can have all of your questions answered by me.
Looking for other ways to support me that are 100% free?
- Like, comment and share on youtube, facebook and instagram
- Leave a 5-star review on apple podcasts
Dan Pope DPT, OCS, CSCS
Ernst, A. T., & Jensen, R. L. (2015). Rotator cuff activation during the Olympic snatch under various loading conditions. In ISBS-Conference Proceedings Archive.
Williams MR Jr, Hendricks DS, Dannen MJ, Arnold AM, Lawrence MA. Activity of Shoulder Stabilizers and Prime Movers During an Unstable Overhead Press. J Strength Cond Res. 2020 Jan;34(1):73-78. doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000002660. PMID: 29889776.
Reed D, Cathers I, Halaki M, Ginn KA. Does load influence shoulder muscle recruitment patterns during scapular plane abduction? J Sci Med Sport. 2016 Sep;19(9):755-60. doi: 10.1016/j.jsams.2015.10.007. Epub 2015 Nov 5. PMID: 26614421.
Edwards, P. K., Ebert, J. R., Littlewood, C., Ackland, T., & Wang, A. (2017). A Systematic Review of Electromyography Studies in Normal Shoulders to Inform Postoperative Rehabilitation Following Rotator Cuff Repair. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy, 47(12), 931–944. doi:10.2519/jospt.2017.7271
Wattanaprakornkul D, Cathers I, Halaki M, Ginn KA. The rotator cuff muscles have a direction specific recruitment pattern during shoulder flexion and extension exercises. J Sci Med Sport. 2011 Sep;14(5):376-82. doi: 10.1016/j.jsams.2011.01.001. Epub 2011 Feb 17. PMID: 21333595.
Serrano et al. Shoulder Injuries In Olympic Weightlifting: A Systematic Review BJMHS 2020