If you’re like me you have a tough time getting deep in your squats and then coming back out of the hole with some power. Here’s a great exercise to work on to help with that. They’re called 1 and 1/2 squats.
Coaching cues and key points:
- Knees out, hips back, chest up, heels flat – Just like any other squat exercise.
- Come up just high enough on the 1/2 squat to know that you’ve gotten through the “sticking point” or the hardest portion of the lift.
- Treat this as an accessory exercise, not to replace your Max effort work or main lifts. I like to place these after my main squat exercise or after some Oly lifts.
- You can try this with front squats and overhead squats as well.
- Listening to 50 cent during this exercise boosts strength an extra 10%.
What’s your favorite squat variation to work on your weaknesses?
P.S. If you enjoy the videos please sign up for the newsletter on the top right hand side of the page to receive weekly updates about new exercises, videos, articles and podcasts about fitness, health and rehab. from yours truly. Happy Squatting!