Physical Therapy Treatment for Wrist Pain | Olympic Lifting, CrossFit, Powerlifting: FPF Show Episode 32
In today's episode we go over Physical Therapy Treatment for Wrist Pain | Olympic Lifting, CrossFit, Powerlifting:
If you want to see "The Best Physical Therapy Exercises for Wrist Pain" click HERE:
- 0:00 Intro
- 1:55 How common is wrist pain during Powerlifting, Weightlifting and CrossFit?
- 4:48 What type of wrist pain is most common in the weight room?
- 5:48 What's the medical diagnosis for wrist pain in the weight room?
- 7:02 What pathology is present in MRIs in patients with pain in the back of the wrist?
- 8:04 What medical red flags exist with wrist pain? (Scaphoid and Lunate fractures)
- 13:02 What's the mechanism of injury for wrist pain in the gym?
- 16:21 Physical therapy treatment for wrist pain (4 steps)
- 18:57 Which movements create wrist pain in the gym?
- 20:05 How to modify bench press for wrist pain
- 21:04 How to modify the snatch and clean and jerk for wrist pain22:15 How to modify handstands and pushups for wrist pain
- 23:52 What to strengthen for wrist pain in the gym
- 26:17 What are the best physical therapy exercises for wrist pain?
- 36:43 Exercise prescription, programming and dosing for wrist pain
- 39:29 Example physical therapy program for wrist pain in the gym
- 41:51 How and when to restore wrist mobility after injury
- 44:54 How to mobilize the surrounding structures to reduce stress on the wrist
- 46:36 Principles for returning to training
Listen and Subscribe to the Podcast
You can listen to the podcast and subscribe with any of the links below.
Show Notes / Relevant Articles:
- FPF Mini Course - 7 Reasons Why Injuries Happen in the Gym and What to do About it
- The Ultimate Front Rack Mobility Guide
- The Best Exercises for Front Rack Mobility (Clean, Front Squat, Jerks, Thrusters)
- The Best Physical Therapy Exercises for Wrist Pain (CrossFit, Handstands, Olympic Weightlifting, Powerlifting)
- Assessing and Correcting Overhead Mobility for Better Overhead Lifts
Want to support me and decide topics for future episodes? Click HERE to sign up for FPF "Insiders" for just a dollar. You'll gain access to 100+ webinars, e-books and complete guides. Plus, you'll get private access to the "Insiders" Facebook group where you can have all of your questions answered by me.
Looking for other ways to support me that are 100% free?
- Like, comment and share on youtube, facebook and instagram
- Leave a 5-star review on apple podcasts
Dan Pope DPT, OCS, CSCS
Nasr LA, Koay J. Kienbock Disease. [Updated 2021 Aug 11]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK536991/
Shehab R, Mirabelli MH. Evaluation and diagnosis of wrist pain: a case-based approach. Am Fam Physician. 2013 Apr 15;87(8):568-73. Erratum in: Am Fam Physician. 2013 Oct 1;88(7):427. PMID: 23668446.
Nance EM, Byun DJ, Endo Y, Wolfe SW, Lee SK. Dorsal Wrist Pain in the Extended Wrist-Loading Position: An MRI Study. J Wrist Surg. 2017;6(4):276-279. doi:10.1055/s-0037-1599829
Tawfik A, Katt BM, Sirch F, et al. A Study on the Incidence of Hand or Wrist Injuries in CrossFit Athletes. Cureus. 2021;13(3):e13818. Published 2021 Mar 11. doi:10.7759/cureus.13818