Physical Therapy Treatment for Radicular Lower Back Pain During Squats, Deadlifts and Olympic Lifts
In today's episode we go over Physical Therapy Treatment for Radicular Lower Back Pain During Squats, Deadlifts and Olympic Lifts:
- 0:00 Intro
- 2:10 What is Radicular Lower Back Pain?
- 5:32 What are the primary symptoms of radicular lower back pain?
- 9:00 Medical red flags with lower back pain
- 11:31 What exercises are most responsible for radicular lower back pain?
- 14:34 What causes radicular lower back pain?
- 23:55 How do you treat radicular lower back pain?
- 27:32 How to handle neural tension issues in radicular lower back pain
- 31:13 What factors change stress on the spine during common gym exercises?
- 34:09 How to fix lower back pain in the gym
- 37:07 How to modify training in the gym with lower back pain
- 44:02 How to modify squats in the gym with lower back pain
- 45:28 How to modify deadlifts in the gym with lower back pain
- 47:23 How to modify olympic lifts in the gym with lower back pain
- 50:16 Using blood flow restriction training (BFR) for lower back pain
- 53:22 What a physical therapy treatment programs looks like for radicular lower back pain
- 1:00:23 How to put it all together (FPF Mini Course)
Listen and Subscribe to the Podcast
You can listen to the podcast and subscribe with any of the links below.
Show Notes / Relevant Articles:
- FPF Mini Course - 7 Reasons Why Injuries Happen in the Gym and What to do About it
- The Ultimate Guide to Getting Out of Lower Back Pain and Back to Squatting, Deadlifting and Olympic Lifts - With Modification Infographics
- The Best Exercises To Get Out of Lower Back Pain and Back to Training
- 6 Causes of Extension Based Low Back Pain in the Gym
Want to support me and decide topics for future episodes? Click HERE to sign up for FPF "Insiders" for just a dollar. You'll gain access to 100+ webinars, e-books and complete guides. Plus, you'll get private access to the "Insiders" Facebook group where you can have all of your questions answered by me.
Looking for other ways to support me that are 100% free?
- Like, comment and share on youtube, facebook and instagram
- Leave a 5-star review on apple podcasts
Dan Pope DPT, OCS, CSCS
- Pennock AT, Bomar JD, Johnson KP, Randich K, Upasani VV. Nonoperative Management of Femoroacetabular Impingement: A Prospective Study. Am J Sports Med. 2018 Dec;46(14):3415-3422. doi: 10.1177/0363546518804805. Epub 2018 Nov 6. PMID: 30398893.
- Owen PJ, Miller CT, Mundell NL, et al. Which specific modes of exercise training are most effective for treating low back pain? Network meta-analysis. Br J Sports Med. 2020;54(21):1279-1287. doi:10.1136/bjsports-2019-100886
- Hayden JA, Ellis J, Ogilvie R, Malmivaara A, van Tulder MW. Exercise therapy for chronic low back pain. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2021, Issue 9. Art. No.: CD009790. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD009790.pub2.
- Berglund L, Aasa B, Hellqvist J, Michaelson P, Aasa U. Which Patients With Low Back Pain Benefit From Deadlift Training? J Strength Cond Res. 2015 Jul;29(7):1803-11. doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000000837. PMID: 25559899.
- Khan KM, Scott AMechanotherapy: how physical therapists’ prescription of exercise promotes tissue repair British Journal of Sports Medicine 2009;43:247-252.
- Purcell, L., & Micheli, L. (2009). Low Back Pain in Young Athletes. Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach, 1(3), 212–222.
- McGill, S. (2007). Low Back Disorders. Champaigne, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Potvin JR, McGill SM, Norman RW. Trunk muscle and lumbar ligament contributions to dynamic lifts with varying degrees of trunk flexion. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 1991 Sep;16(9):1099-107. doi: 10.1097/00007632-199109000-00015. PMID: 1948399.
- Mawston G, Holder L, O'Sullivan P, Boocock M. Flexed lumbar spine postures are associated with greater strength and efficiency than lordotic postures during a maximal lift in pain-free individuals. Gait Posture. 2021 May;86:245-250. doi: 10.1016/j.gaitpost.2021.02.029. Epub 2021 Mar 1. PMID: 33799053.
- Bogduk N. On the definitions and physiology of back pain, referred pain, and radicular pain. Pain. 2009 Dec 15;147(1-3):17-9. doi: 10.1016/j.pain.2009.08.020. Epub 2009 Sep 16. PMID: 19762151.
- Andersen V, Fimland MS, Mo DA, Iversen VM, Vederhus T, Rockland Hellebø LR, Nordaune KI, Saeterbakken AH. Electromyographic Comparison of Barbell Deadlift, Hex Bar Deadlift, and Hip Thrust Exercises: A Cross-Over Study. J Strength Cond Res. 2018 Mar;32(3):587-593. doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000001826. PMID: 28151780.
- Dydyk AM, Ngnitewe Massa R, Mesfin FB. Disc Herniation. [Updated 2021 Jul 12]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK441822/
- Schoenfeld, B. J. (2010). Squatting Kinematics and Kinetics and Their Application to Exercise Performance. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 24(12), 3497–3506.
- Berglund L, Aasa B, Michaelson P, Aasa U. Effects of Low-Load Motor Control Exercises and a High-Load Lifting Exercise on Lumbar Multifidus Thickness: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2017 Aug 1;42(15):E876-E882. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0000000000001989. PMID: 27870804.
- Delitto, A., George, S. Z., Van Dillen, L., Whitman, J. M., Sowa, G., Shekelle, P., … Godges, J. J. (2012). Low Back Pain. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy, 42(4), A1–A57.
- Welch, N., Moran, K., Antony, J., Richter, C., Marshall, B., Coyle, J., … Franklyn-Miller, A. (2015). The effects of a free-weight-based resistance training intervention on pain, squat biomechanics and MRI-defined lumbar fat infiltration and functional cross-sectional area in those with chronic low back. BMJ Open Sport & Exercise Medicine, 1(1), e000050–e000050. doi:10.1136/bmjsem-2015-000050
- Aasa U, Svartholm I, Andersson F, Berglund L. Injuries among weightlifters and powerlifters: a systematic review. Br J Sports Med. 2017 Feb;51(4):211-219. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2016-096037. Epub 2016 Oct 4. PMID: 27707741.
- Fares MY, Fares J, Salhab HA, Khachfe HH, Bdeir A, Fares Y. Low Back Pain Among Weightlifting Adolescents and Young Adults. Cureus. 2020;12(7):e9127. Published 2020 Jul 11. doi:10.7759/cureus.9127
- Dydyk AM, Khan MZ, Singh P. Radicular Back Pain. [Updated 2021 Nov 2]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK546593/
- Chou R, Côté P, Randhawa K, Torres P, Yu H, Nordin M, Hurwitz EL, Haldeman S, Cedraschi C. The Global Spine Care Initiative: applying evidence-based guidelines on the non-invasive management of back and neck pain to low- and middle-income communities. Eur Spine J. 2018 doi: 10.1007/s00586-017-5433-8
- Shiri, R., Coggon, D., & Falah-Hassani, K. (2017). Exercise for the Prevention of Low Back Pain: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Controlled Trials. American Journal of Epidemiology, 187(5), 1093–1101.
References: Injury Prevention
- Golshani K, Cinque ME, O'Halloran P, Softness K, Keeling L, Macdonell JR. Upper extremity weightlifting injuries: Diagnosis and management. J Orthop. 2017;15(1):24-27. Published 2017 Nov 7. doi:10.1016/j.jor.2017.11.005
- Keogh, Justin W. L.; Winwood, Paul W. (2017). The Epidemiology of Injuries Across the Weight-Training Sports. Sports Medicine, 47(3), 479–501. doi:10.1007/s40279-016-0575-0
- Littlewood, Chris; Malliaras, Peter; Chance-Larsen, Ken (2015). Therapeutic exercise for rotator cuff tendinopathy. International Journal of Rehabilitation Research, 38(2), 95–106. doi:10.1097/mrr.0000000000000113
- Aasa U, Svartholm I, Andersson F, et al Injuries among weightlifters and powerlifters: a systematic review British Journal of Sports Medicine 2017;51:211-219.
- Artus, M., Holt, T. A., & Rees, J. (2014). The painful shoulder: an update on assessment, treatment, and referral. British Journal of General Practice, 64(626), e593–e595. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4141618/
- The Development and Application of an Injury Prediction Model for Noncontact, Soft-Tissue Injuries in Elite Collision Sport Athletes. (n.d.). Retrieved August 01, 2016, from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/46288877_The_Development_and_Application_of_an_Injury_Prediction_Model_for_Noncontact_Soft-Tissue_Injuries_in_Elite_Collision_Sport_Athletes
- Relationship Between Training Load and Injury in Professional Rugby League https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Tim_Gabbett/publication/49775412_Relationship_between_training_load_and_injury_in_professional_rugby_league_players/links/551894590cf2d70ee27b41ad.pdf
- Training and game loads and injury risk in elite Australian footballers. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Brent_Rogalski/publication/234699103_Training_and_game_loads_and_injury_risk_in_elite_Australian_footballers/links/53dadd6b0cf2a19eee8b3f9f.pdf
- The risk of injuries among CrossFit athletes: an Italian observational retrospective survey. Tafuri S1, Salatino G2, Napoletano P3, Monno A4, Notarnicola A
- A 4-Year Analysis of the Incidence of Injuries Among CrossFit-Trained Participants Orthop J Sports Med. 2018 Oct; 6 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6201188/
- Injury Incidence and Patterns Among Dutch CrossFit Athletes Orthop J Sports Med. 2017 Dec; 5(12): 2325967117745263. Published online 2017 Dec 18. doi: 10.1177/2325967117745263 Mirwais Mehrab, BSc,*† Robert-Jan de Vos, MD, PhD,‡ Gerald A. Kraan, MD, PhD,† and Nina M.C. Mathijssen, PhD†
- Injury Rate and Patterns Among CrossFit Athletes Orthop J Sports Med. 2014 Apr; 2(4): 2325967114531177. Benjamin M. Weisenthal, BA,* Christopher A. Beck, MA, PhD,† Michael D. Maloney, MD,‡ Kenneth E. DeHaven, MD,‡ and Brian D. Giordano, MD‡§
- Musculoskeletal injuries in Portuguese CrossFit practitioners. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2019 Feb 5. [Epub ahead of print] Minghelli B1, Vicente P2.
- INJURY RISK IS ALTERED BY PREVIOUS INJURY: A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW OF THE LITERATURE AND PRESENTATION OF CAUSATIVE NEUROMUSCULAR FACTORS Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2014 Oct; 9(5): 583–595. Jessica Fulton, PT, DPT, HFS,1 Kathryn Wright, PT, DPT,1 Margaret Kelly, PT, DPT, CSCS,1 Britanee Zebrosky, PT, DPT, CSCS,1 Matthew Zanis, PT, DPT, ATC, CSCS,1 Corey Drvol, PT, DPT,1 and Robert Butler, PT, PhD1
- Chronic lack of sleep is associated with increased sports injuries in adolescent athletes. J Pediatr Orthop. 2014 Mar;34(2):129-33. Milewski MD1, Skaggs DL, Bishop GA, Pace JL, Ibrahim DA, Wren TA, Barzdukas A.
- Psychological predictors of injury among elite athletes S A Galambos1, P C Terry1, G M Moyle1, S A Locke1 BJSM 2005
- Matthew Whalan, Ric Lovell & John A Sampson (2020) Do Niggles Matter? - Increased injury risk following physical complaints in football (soccer), Science and Medicine in Football, 4:3, 216-224, DOI: 10.1080/24733938.2019.1705996
- Image: Disc Herniation - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Lagehernia.png Attribution: Mjorter at Dutch Wikipedia, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons