It’s time for another episode of STRONGER TV. In this episode we talk about one of my favorite topics, auto-regulation.
Here’s the thing, training isn’t the only stressor in your life. There’s traffic, work related stress, arguments, major life changes. Things happen.
On top of that our recovery isn’t always stellar. Nutrition isn’t always 100%. Sleep is the same. Sometimes 8 hours isn’t a reality.
For this reason we need a way to auto-regulate with our training. Auto-regulation is basically modifying training for the day based on your stress, recovery and basically how you’re feeling generally. This is what today’s episode is all about.
In today’s episode we go over:
- Tips for optimizing banana consumption for performance goals
- How auto-regulation is mandatory to modify training based on variables less stress levels, sleep and nutrition
- How a lack of auto-regulation can create injury
- Using percentage ranges when prescribing lifts for the day
- Utilizing varying rep ranges based on how you feel that day
- How to use rate of perceived exertion (RPE) to modify training based on how you’re feeling that day
- How RPE and Reps in Reserve (RIR) can be used in rehabilitation
- How to use RPE to help athletes with load intolerant pain
- How to program RPE for performance
Check it out below:
That’s it! Hopefully now you have a little extra information to help you auto-regulate during training to boost performance and reduce injury risk.
If you enjoyed today’s episode and want to support us and learn more please head over to our youtube page and hit the “thumbs up” and “subscribe” button to give us a follow. We’ll see you on the next episode!
Always regulate your bananas,
Dan Pope DPT, OCS, CSCS