Join Rob and I as we interview orthopedic surgeon Dr. Sean Rockett about the most common knee injuries you’ll find in crossfit as well as how we can prevent and treat them.
- [1:25] Dr. Rockett addresses all of the recent “hub bub” about
concussions in youth sports
- [2:25] Dr. Rockett’s ideas on kipping pullups and whether or not they are related to the high incidence of SLAP labral tears in crossfit.
- [7:25] Introducing today’s topic, knee injuries in crossfit
- [7:45] What are the most common knee injuries seen in crossfit?
- [9:09] Can we fix knee pain by addressing technique solely?
- [10:53] What are the most common knee injuries that require surgery?
- [11:45] Why are we seeing knee injuries from crossfit and how can we fix this?
- [13:00] Are deep, olympic style squats safe for the knees and the meniscus?
- [15:40] If deep squats aren’t bad then what is leading to meniscus injury?
- [16:50] How does Dr. Rockett treat tendonitis and meniscus injury both surgically and conservatively?
- [19:02] Dr. Rockett’s thoughts on patellofemoral pain syndrome and having knee pain without any evidence of tissue injury
- [22:27] What is a typical meniscus surgery like?
- [23:14] Dr. Rockett’s experience surgically treating a crossfit games competitor
- [27:35] What about performing crossfit with knee arthritis?
- [28:25] Can I perform crossfit with a total knee replacement? What can I do, what can’t I do? and how long is the recovery?
- [32:02] Although ACL injuries are not common in crossfit what do I have to be aware of when returning to crossfit after an ACL repair?
- [33:50] How long should I wait to compete in crossfit following ACL surgery (Hint, it’s not 4-6 months)
- [36:20] If I rupture my ACL do I even need surgery? What if I want to be competitive in crossfit?
- [37:47] Why understanding crossfit is crucial for a surgeon and therapist
- [39:35] Dr. Rockett’s experience as a medical volunteer at the crossfit games
- [40:17] What are the most dangerous crossfit exercises?
- [41:18] At what point do I need to see an orthopedic surgeon like Dr. Rockett?
- [42:48] Learn more about Dr. Rockett’s injury prevention program
Dr. Rockett’s site www.321gomd.com
An additional interview with Dr. Rockett about the shoulder
Here’s to healthy knees,
Dan Pope, DPT, CSCS
P.S. If you enjoyed this podcast then sign up for the newsletter to receive the FREE guide – 10 Idiot Proof Principles to Crossfit Performance and Injury Prevention as well as to keep up to date with new information as it comes out via weekly emails.