ACL Reconstruction Surgery Physical Therapy Treatment | Phase 1 | Case Study Part 2 | FPF Show Episode 51
To go along with today's episode I have a nice infographic to share...
Sign up to receive FREE: The Evidence Based Guide to Exercise After ACL Reconstruction
In today's episode we go over ACL Reconstruction Surgery Physical Therapy Treatment | Phase 1 | Case Study Part 2 | FPF Show Episode 51:
- 0:00 Introduction
- 2:24 What did the pre-operative physical therapy program look like before ACL surgery?
- 4:57 How did I advance her physical therapy program prior to ACL surgery?
- 5:43 What elements of physical therapy are vital before ACL surgery?
- 6:16 What were our pre-operative measurements prior to ACL surgery?
- 8:46 Important considerations after ACL surgery?
- 11:07 Contraindications, bracing and weight bearing after ACL surgery
- 13:14 Objective measurements ROM, swelling, quad contraction) week 1 after ACL surgery
- 15:44 Early decision making and plan of care after ACL surgery
- 17:00 Physical therapy frequency and goals after ACL surgery
- 18:16 How I restore range of motion after ACL surgery
- 21:54 Strength training week 1-4 after ACL surgery
- 24:08 Home exercise program week 1-4 after ACL surgery
- 25:1 Contralateral limb training and conditioning week 1-4 after ACL surgery
- 26:30 Gait training and initiating full weight bearing after ACL surgery
Listen and Subscribe to the Podcast
You can listen to the podcast and subscribe with any of the links below.
Show Notes / Relevant Articles:
- FPF Mini Course - 7 Reasons Why Injuries Happen in the Gym and What to do About it
- Guide to ACL Reconstruction Exercise Prescription for Physical Therapists | Part 1 | FPF Show Episode 48
- Guide to ACL Reconstruction Exercise Prescription for Physical Therapists | Part 2 | FPF Show Episode 49
- ACL Reconstruction Surgery Physical Therapy Treatment | Pre-Operative Guidelines | Case Study | FPF Show Episode 50
- The Evidence Based Guide to Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome for Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapy Evaluation and Treatment (Meniscus Tear Case Study)
- The Ultimate Guide to Getting Out of Knee Pain and Back to Squatting and Olympic Lifts
Want to support me and decide topics for future episodes? Click HERE to sign up for FPF "Insiders" for just a dollar. You'll gain access to 100+ webinars, e-books and complete guides. Plus, you'll get private access to the "Insiders" Facebook group where you can have all of your questions answered by me.
Looking for other ways to support me that are 100% free?
- Like, comment and share on youtube, facebook and instagram
- Leave a 5-star review on apple podcasts
Dan Pope DPT, OCS, CSCS
Delaware - ACL-R Physical Therapy Protocol https://cpb-us-w2.wpmucdn.com/sites.udel.edu/dist/c/3448/files/2016/01/UDPT-ACL-Rehab-Guideline-REVISED.pdf
Failla MJ, Logerstedt DS, Grindem H, Axe MJ, Risberg MA, Engebretsen L, Huston LJ, Spindler KP, Snyder-Mackler L. Does Extended Preoperative Rehabilitation Influence Outcomes 2 Years After ACL Reconstruction? A Comparative Effectiveness Study Between the MOON and Delaware-Oslo ACL Cohorts. Am J Sports Med. 2016 Oct;44(10):2608-2614. doi: 10.1177/0363546516652594. Epub 2016 Jul 14. Erratum in: Am J Sports Med. 2017 Apr;45(5):NP9. PMID: 27416993; PMCID: PMC5537599.
Kim DK, Park G, Wang JH, Kuo LT, Park WH. Preoperative quadriceps muscle strength deficit severity predicts knee function one year after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Sci Rep. 2022 Apr 6;12(1):5830. doi: 10.1038/s41598-022-09816-3. PMID: 35388112; PMCID: PMC8986796.
Minshull C, Gallacher P, Roberts S, Barnett A, Kuiper JH, Bailey A. Contralateral strength training attenuates muscle performance loss following anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction: a randomised-controlled trial. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2021 Dec;121(12):3551-3559. doi: 10.1007/s00421-021-04812-3. Epub 2021 Sep 20. PMID: 34542671.
Thomas AC, Wojtys EM, Brandon C, Palmieri-Smith RM. Muscle atrophy contributes to quadriceps weakness after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. J Sci Med Sport. 2016 Jan;19(1):7-11. doi: 10.1016/j.jsams.2014.12.009. Epub 2015 Jan 13. PMID: 25683732; PMCID: PMC4500756.
Lepley LK, Davi SM, Burland JP, Lepley AS. Muscle Atrophy After ACL Injury: Implications for Clinical Practice. Sports Health. 2020 Nov/Dec;12(6):579-586. doi: 10.1177/1941738120944256. Epub 2020 Aug 31. PMID: 32866081; PMCID: PMC7785904.
Charles D, White R, Reyes C, Palmer D. A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW OF THE EFFECTS OF BLOOD FLOW RESTRICTION TRAINING ON QUADRICEPS MUSCLE ATROPHY AND CIRCUMFERENCE POST ACL RECONSTRUCTION. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2020 Dec;15(6):882-891. doi: 10.26603/ijspt20200882. PMID: 33344004; PMCID: PMC7727417.
Watson A, Brickson S, Brooks MA, Dunn W. Preseason Aerobic Fitness Predicts In-Season Injury and Illness in Female Youth Athletes. Orthop J Sports Med. 2017 Sep 5;5(9):2325967117726976. doi: 10.1177/2325967117726976. PMID: 28904982; PMCID: PMC5588804.