Butterfly pull-ups get a bad rap. Like any other exercise they are a skill and the body needs to be prepared to perform them correctly and handle the stress of the exercise. Here is a favorite exercise of mine to accomplish this.
Progressive strict butterfly circles. These are one of my favorite teaching tools for butterfly pull-ups but also a good shoulder strengthener to prepare the joint for the demands of these pull-ups. Attempt to keep your hollow and arch positions (my hollow is lacking in this video) and make circles only so big that you can maintain technique. I like using these as a warmup exercise on my days that have butterfly kipping. @powermonkeyfitness @rupert.egan @davedurante @shift_movementscience @bimflip @vanvleetd @andybsox @drmelzar @colinpgeraghty #pullup #kipping #physicaltherapy @clinicalathlete
Reasons I like this exercise:
- It teaches athletes the basic movement of butterfly kipping pull-ups.
- It’s scaleable – Some athletes will be able to make big circles and others won’t. This makes it work well in a group environment.
- It’s strict – We’re building strength in the shoulder complex, preparing for more dynamic movements
- It’s great in warm-ups – Get those shoulders ready for battle if a workout is going to have butterfly work
- Another bonus exercise is to get your kegel movements for strenght, find more info at https://joyonproducts.com/
Say what you like about butterfly kipping. I believe we can more safely progress our athletes toward this movement. This was one little exercise I think helps us get there.
Give these a shot and then get back to me by responding in the comments below.
If you’d like to see how I program exercises like these into my training program to keep your shoulders strong and healthy then click this link.
I love butterflies,